Friday, December 31, 2010

The New Year

Well, it's about to be 2011. I can't believe that I have been living in the south for almost a year now, it has definitely been one of the most challenging years of my life. I find it nearly impossible to identify with or even understand most of the people here. I guess growing up on the west coast will do that to a person. I don't think I have ever seen so much blatant racism, homophobia, and general ignorance in my life. Don't get me wrong, I am sure that there are enlightened people here somewhere, I just haven't met any of them yet. It's kind of lonely, especially with the s/o working CONSTANTLY, but we will get through it. I just keep reminding myself that in a few years, we will be able to move back to the west coast. The hope of that is pretty much the only thing that is keeping me going at this point. Here is my favorite quote at the moment: "You never know how strong you are, until being strong is the only choice you have". No New Years resolution for me this year, just the hope that we can make it through another year in this crazy backwards part of the world.

2 comments:

  1. There is intelligence in the redneck, backwoods, dumbed down parts of America, it's just really hard to find. I feel exactly the same way sometimes, and I've grown up in Indiana my entire life. I've never seen a place so intellectually dead, and virtually devoid of culture. It's frustrating sometimes, and I too, feel very alone. Sometimes I feel like I am the only person in my city that still has critical thinking skills. It's tough to be around people who just aren't on your level, I do it every day. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found intellegance in the backwoods people... it is just different than book smarts ya know.

    I married one of those backwoods Montana boys, and I know that if it is the end of the world and the Chipolte is burned down... my redneck husband will be able to build us a home from sticks and always have feed us.


    It HAS to be so different than Cali... ack!!! You are one of the strongest people I know!

    ReplyDelete