Sunday, January 30, 2011

Big Brother is Watching!



You probably already know that Egypt's internet was shut down. Basically the government has blocked all major service providers. The Internet service was shutdown on Thursday at 22:34 GMT, but the Noor ISP which has access to about 8 percent of the market is currently available. Well, now an American legislator is trying to ensure that the American government is able to do the same ting. Wired Magazine was informed by the bill’s sponsor on Friday that senator Susan Collins plans to reintroduce the “internet kill switch” bill to a Senate committee quite soon. According to Collins: "My legislation would provide a mechanism for the government to work with the private sector in the event of a true cyber emergency…. It would give our nation the best tools available to swiftly respond to a significant threat." I understand that cyber security is important, but this is venturing into Orwellian territory. Giving the government free reign to shut down our countries primary form of communication is simply unethical, and way to Big-Brother for my liking.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like they just want to control everything. I'm glad I only have a bout 60 more years to live. I won't have to see our country become a police state.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it will ever pass. Our nation relies way too much on the internet. I go to school online so if they were to shut off the internet they are then preventing me from going to school. I pay for school, oh and I pay for the internet. If I pay for it how can you take it away? There was an interview with President Butthead about this.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4jHP_XYEC8

    he brings up freedom of speech and if the did turn off the internet I think it would only make what ever situations there was going on worse. It is unconstitutional to pass this bill into law.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is scary. It's unbelievable to me. that they even consider things like this. If this passes we can just say goodbye to freedom altogether. The government basically just wipes their ass with the Constitution. It's appalling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you took that photo yourself -- it's great :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan Collins is an stupid. Just like Senator Stevens, she has no grasp on technology.

    The scary thing is, because of the way the NSA is inserted into the loop in this country, they could probably do it. They would at least be able to cripple it for days.

    ReplyDelete