Friday, January 14, 2011

I'll take "Computer Superiority" for $500, Alex.




So, apparently some researchers at IBM have spent the last four years creating it's DeepQA Supercomputer. They showed it off at a media event on Jan. 13th, just about a month before it's debut on Jeopardy will air. The computer, named "Watson", will compete with two of the most successful Jeopardy contestants to date (Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter), whom the computer actually beat in a practice round before today's taping of the official showdown airing February 14th. All I can say is, this is going to be the BEST Valentines Day ever!!! I know, a sad commentary on my life, but whatever. I can go out to a romantic dinner anytime, but watching a computer wipe that sanctimonious grin off of cheesy Ken Jennings face... Once in a lifetime, my friends!





5 comments:

  1. Artificial intelligence is a fascinating topic. Thanks for sharing this (it would be nice if you added a link though :p)

    As a former competitive chess player I will always be proud of Gary Kasparov's performance against the supercomputer Deep Blue. He got a draw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here are some links for you :) http://www.eweek.com/c/a/IT-Infrastructure/IBMs-Watson-Supercomputer-to-Take-on-Humans-in-1M-Jeopardy-Tournament-385208/

    http://www.itjungle.com/tfh/tfh011011-story08.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. whats sad is, it took them 4 years to build it, but if they would have waited 2 years, it probably would have only taken them a year to build it now lol. godamn moors law

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I read somewhere that Watson has 15 TERABYTES of RAM. I'm pretty sure I can't even fathom that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is a terabyte? It should like the name of yogurt brand

    ReplyDelete